[ Evariste® | Forum ]

From patrick.schouller@inria.fr Thu Mar 18 19:42 MET 1999
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Patrick Schouller
Subject: Tilde a software development company FROM Latvia is seeking
  partners to participate in the Fifth Framework Program and is
  interested in collaboration in the following areas of Language
  Engineering: Machine Translation, Speech Processing, Computational
  Lexicography. Another field of our interests is multimedia
  technologies.

MEFI-SEI-DIGITIP-STSI-SDPP-PS-1999-137

Our company is seeking partners to participate in the Fifth Framework
Program and is interested in collaboration in the following areas of
Language Engineering: Machine Translation, Speech Processing, Computational
Lexicography. Another field of our interests is multimedia technologies.

Tilde is a software development and distribution company.  Tilde is a leader
in the market of Latvian language software products.  Our products cover
Latvian language support, proofing tools, electronic dictionaries,
multimedia encyclopaedia and WebTV.

Tilde's Latvian language support software has become the best selling local
software in Latvia. Several thousands of users in Latvia, including
Government, state organizations, schools and banks, have purchased Tilde's
language software.

Latvian spelling checking and hyphenator program Tildes Gramatiíis is the
first and the only commercial Latvian proofing tool. It is closely
integrated with all MS CSAPI compliant applications that support spelling
checking. The software is licensed by Microsoft for inclusion in Latvian
version of MS Office. This dictionary can be considered the most thorough
and complete computer dictionary of Latvian words in the world.

Tilde's Advanced Latvian - English - Latvian Computer Dictionary provides
quick search and translation from English to Latvian and vice versa.
Extensive data storage and search algorithm instantly provide complete
dictionary information about the translated word. Besides the translation
and transcription of English words, the user can also listen to their
pronunciation. In this dictionary Tilde also includes terminological
dictionaries approved by Terminology Commission of Academy of Science of
Latvia. Now our dictionary is also available on the Web:
www.tilde.lv/Dictionary/English/.

In nearest future Tilde plans to develop new general and terminological
electronic dictionaries. Tilde also plans to develop tools for Estonian and
Lithuanian based on existing software for Latvian.

Besides the elaboration of existing products, Tilde expands its work in new
areas of NLP - machine translation system and speech technologies. For this
purpose two level morphology and thesaurus are developed.

Tilde also works in the field of multimedia technologies. The History of
Latvia - Digital Encyclopaedia is an electronic encyclopaedia about the
history of Latvia. This encyclopaedia contains a wide range of information
covering the history of Latvia from ancient times till nowadays. The way of
presentation and media variety helps in thoroughly discovering the history
of Latvia.

Expanding our experience in multimedia development, Tilde has successfully
started a WebTV project (www.laiks-lnt.com). It allows to watch news of
Latvian TV channel LNT through Internet.

Our company has established good co-operation with the Academy of Science of
Latvia and the Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science.
Tilde Localisation Group works for such companies as IBM, Microsoft, Hewlett
Packard and Canon, localising software and documentation for Latvian.
Microsoft co-operates with Tilde to create Latvian version of Ms Office.

Tilde is a member of the Terminology Commission of Academy of Science of
Latvia and participates in  IT Terminology Subcommittee.  Tilde is a member
of the Standardisation Committee on Information Technology of Latvia.

Yours sincerely,

Andrejs Vasiïjevs
Director, Software Development
Tilde, SIA
e-mail:andrejs@tilde.lv
Direction Generale de l'Industrie, des Technologies de l'Information et des
Postes
     Service des Technologies et de la Société de l'Information
Archive de la liste : http://www.evariste.org/actu/schouller/