[ Evariste® | Forum ]

From patrick.schouller@inria.fr Fri Feb 26 20:25 MET 1999
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:28:39 +0100 (CET)
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Patrick Schouller
Subject: Ilpo Koskikallio ( Finlande) a Educational Federation of
  Municipalities in North Karelia search partners for au pilot project

MEFI-SEI-DiGITIP-STSI-SDPP-PS-1999-099

TENTATIVE TITLE OF THE PROJECT:
European Local Net (ELoNet)

CONTACT PERSON & CONTACT INFORMATION:
Name: 	Ilpo Koskikallio

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
The model of this community network is developed and tested in our present
pilot project (The Learning Upper North Karelia) financed mainly by Finnish
National Fund for Research and Development.

In our model the Local Community Network is set up and run by local
unemployed people, who are educated into that system during the 6 monthīs
course and after that the community network system and the educational
activities connected to the system is run by these local people.

Network system is based on FirstClass intranet system. Fast, simple to use
and easy to administer.

Some characteristics of our present experiment.
· The installation and basic user guidance is free for every citizen in the
pilot area
· Enough free computer kiosks for people without home computers
· Free Email address to every citizen (who want to get it) and also the
possibility to publish a homepage.
· Real time chat possibility between members.
· The creation of new flexible and versatile local virtual discussion forum
and also a direct connection to global Internet.

Preliminary results in our area after 9 months activity. (3 municipalities
with 20000 inh. in North Karelia, one of the least favourable regions in
Finland)
· over 3000 users in our network (about 15% of population over 6 years old)
· about 1000 different daily users (over 5000 logins per day)
· over 30 free computer kiosks
· the whole system (the network system and the educational system) is run by
10_15 formerly unemployed people.

The goal of the ELoNet project
· The creation of similar system to 4-6 other countries/regions.
· New kind of local democracy with the help of Local Netīs new Add'ins
(gallups, elections, information from and to local administration)
· Gateways between different local networks.

New solutions
· micro_payments with the help of local network (sending of letters,
telephone number enquiries etc.)
· contacts between the members of different local networks with the help of
automatic language translations

EXISTING PARTNERS:
We donīt have any final agreements with our potential partners, yet.
Negotiations has started.
Direction Generale de l'Industrie, des Technologies de l'Information et des
Postes
     Service des Technologies et de la Société de l'Information
Archive de la liste : http://www.evariste.org/actu/schouller/