[ Evariste® | Forum ]

From patrick.schouller@inria.fr Fri Feb 26 18:42 MET 1999
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 18:33:39 +0100 (CET)
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Patrick Schouller
Subject: University of Lapland (Finlande) and is Virtual Town
  Reconstructions Project

MEFI-SEI-DiGITIP-STSI-SDPP-PS-1999-104

TENTATIVE TITLE OF THE PROJECT:

Virtual Town Reconstructions Project

CONTACT PERSON & CONTACT INFORMATION:

Name: 	Prof. Jeff Taylor

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

Briefly, the project involves virtual reconstruction of war-ravaged European
towns, so that our approach would be to construct a virtual Old Rovaniemi.
One of the features planned is for 'time travel' so that visual data from
different eras can be brought in.  The 3D models that would make up the VR
visualisation, based mainly on photographic archives, could themselves serve
as an interface to local museum and other archives.  Personal tours captured
from those still living and from historical archives could be constructed.

We use Onyx2 technology for development work and to present a 6-metre
120-degree panaoramic display.

We are seeking partner(s) who wish to be partners in rebuilding their
war-torn town, utilising photographic and film archive material, and who
have the technical capacity to collaborate on constructing a suitable
database, etc.

Direction Generale de l'Industrie, des Technologies de l'Information et des
Postes
     Service des Technologies et de la Société de l'Information
Archive de la liste : http://www.evariste.org/actu/schouller/