[ Evariste® | Forum ]

From patrick.schouller@inria.fr Fri Mar 19 08:20 MET 1999
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Patrick Schouller
Subject: ALGORIEL Consulting propose a partnershaft to experiment a new
  management information system in enterprise

MEFI-SEI-DiGITIP-STSI-SDPP-PS-1999-106

PROJECT PROPOSAL
TENTATIVE TITLE OF THE PROJECT:
MPI METHOD : Modelling of management information system and identifying
software components for reusable software.
CONTACT PERSON & CONTACT INFORMATION:
Name :	Georges JACOVLEV
Organisation :	ALGORIEL
Department :	ALGORIEL Consulting
Mailing adress :	Tour Montparnasse, 33, avenue du Maine, 75755 PARIS cedex
15 - FRANCE
Telephone :	(33) 1 45 38 36 05                                          Fax
: (33) 1 45 38 36 22
URL :	www.algoriel.fr                                              Email :
georges.jacovlev@wanadoo.fr
PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
We have already experimented our method, called MPI (Modelling of Processes
through Information), in different enterprises : FRANCE TELECOM, L'AIR
LIQUIDE, MERLIN GERIN, VERRERIES CRISTALLERIE D'ARC, VIDEOTHEQUE DE PARIS,
LA POSTE, IBM FRANCE, BNP, R.T.L., BANQUE DE FRANCE, SNCF. But these were
only partial experimentation and, what concerns reusable software was in a
very small way experimented, but sufficient to know that it's operative.

Now, we want to experiment the whole method in an enterprise, in each
country of our partners, to demonstrate the benefits it brings, particularly :
- to know really what are the acting processes that contribute to the
finality of the enterprise;
- to be able to build an information system that reflects the real
operations, and not what the I.T. technicians want to build, so that the
information system could bring a real aid to the management of the enterprise;
- to be able to build industrialy, with a low cost, reliable and flexible
software applications.

We know that we are able to split a complex organisation or system into, for
example, 150 or 200 separate functional objects. Not a method in the world
can do it when the system is complex.

We know that we are able to build a big software application by fitting
together (probably) no more than 200 software components. The different
experimentations of reusable software we met have built a minimum of five
thousands of software objects. We think it's too much to be easy reused.

The fundamentals of our method MPI are :
- identify a "conceptual langage", different of the business language and of
the I.T. language,
- be able to solve the contradictions that are found during the usual ways
of organisation modelling,
- measure the information quantities that are in the processes, that
determines two parameters - "utility" and "complexity" - for each process
and for each step of each process,
- identify the elementary functional objects that exist in each step of each
process, that is the way of building reusable software.

How we propose to proceed :
- first we shall teach our partners how to use our MPI method, at the
beginning of the research, and during it, as necessary,
- then the partner, if it is a software engineering or consultant firm, has
to find a pilot enterprise in which the experimentation could be done;
another way is that an industrial or service enterprise is directly
interested in the experimentation.
EXISTING PARTNERS:
We don't have any final agreements with our potential partners, yet.
Negotiations has started, abroad with software engineering and consultant
firms and, in France with industrial and service enterprises.
Direction Generale de l'Industrie, des Technologies de l'Information et des
Postes
     Service des Technologies et de la Société de l'Information
Archive de la liste : http://www.evariste.org/actu/schouller/